Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ready for paint . . . umm, maybe not . . .



I finished this metal piece yesterday and am now faced with the question, "Is it done, or not?". This usually does not surface in my work, but this piece is made of such thin aluminum that the surface is somewhat distorted by some of the screws, and I also dented it in a few places during its construction. I'm either going to have to rough it up overall - a prospect I don't find too appealing, or I'll paint it and then abrade edges, screws, etc. with coarse steel wool in the manner of my piece "Armored Low Rhombo" from two or three months ago. Most likely, I'll paint it. After that is done, I'll post a final photo. Then, I've got to get back to the stones I was working on before I got the idea for this piece.

On another topic, I was pleased to receive the "Best of Show" award last evening at the "64 Arts" Exhibition at the Buchanan Center in Monmouth, IL. The winning piece was the alabaster "Sound of Ice", the same piece that won the grand award at the Galex Exhibition here in Galesburg a little over a year ago. It is shown above.

1 comment: