Monday, August 15, 2011

Moving on to the next stone



Last week I got the stone finished that I started in mid-June, and it's a good thing too, because I have to deliver it to Chicago in 2 weeks. A friend bought it
for his wife as a birthday present! I named it "Headstone for the Paleozoic" because the Colorado alabasters were formed during the Paleozoic Era, roughly 300 million years ago. Just for context, this was after the breakup of Pangea and what is now Africa was located in the area of the north pole. In addition, the end of that era saw the Permian/Triassic event, the largest mass extinction of life the Earth has ever experienced. Hence, the name.
Since then, I've started a new stone - one that builds on the main theme of "Headstone", but will be somewhat simpler due to the nature of the boulder. Both stones are shown in the photos above, which can be seen larger by clicking on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment