Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Black Armored Structure


This piece got finished yesterday, and its first exposure will be in a December group exhibition in the ICON Gallery, Fairfield, Iowa.
It is aluminum and steel, mounted on pine and is 26" x 8.5" x 4". As I said to a friend, this is probably going to be a difficult piece for most viewers - as in, "What can I say about it?" No need to say anything, really, just tell me whether you like it or not. It is a piece that I feel is exploring the leading (bleeding?) edge of my aesthetic and deals with my struggle with the concerns of 3D art in a post-minimalist milieu. Even a title for a piece like this is difficult. Does it say to much? Too little? Should the piece have a baseor sit directly on the surface? On this last issue, I decided that since the scale of the piece is not such that it can rest directly on the floor, some kind of base was a necessity.

1 comment:

  1. It is a mean looking piece. Maybe something left over from WW1 maybe? I like the look and effect.

    ReplyDelete