Saturday, October 6, 2012

The unexpected . . .



While I was working on the stone today, a fairly significant piece of it broke off without warning. There's never any warning. Anyway, my intuitive way of working allowed me to immediately imagine a new final look to the piece - one of the benefits of having a fluid interpretation of its ultimate appearance. I'm getting close to having it all roughed out and will enter the slower-paced intermediate stage.  In the initial work, I'm open to most anything the stone presents, and tend to work quickly and try to make judgements on form without over thinking it. Strangely, this method produces the most cohesive pieces. In essence, the stone has a big say in the outcome.The photos above show both sides as of today, and also the piece that made its sudden exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment