Thursday, June 13, 2013

Side B shows its face


A few days ago, I thought that this side of the piece was going to be a real problem, so imagine my delight at having it coming along so smoothly. The radial theme I envisioned is working out well, although the finishing stage is going to really take some time with all those edges. However, it's all in the service of taking the best advantage of the layer of glass-like material over the
underlying orange stone. I am now thinking it's a layer of silica, but it seems to carve and finish very well. It could also be just a layer of alabaster without any impurities. I've never seen this before and am anxious to get it finished.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it will be another very cool piece. It somehow reminds me of some sort of ancient navigation device.

    ReplyDelete