Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Some work on side #1


I decided that side #1 needed some attention, so that's what I did today. I'm leaving the bottom somewhat rough and unresolved for a reason: I need the strength there while the top parts are still getting lighter. Eventually, the top will be about as light as it's going to get and the stress at the bottom will be (I hope) not enough to break the piece as work continues. As the resolution of the forms approaches its final state, I find myself thinking about the arduous task ahead of me – the finish. I'm done with high finishes with their untold hours of polishing with felt pad and tin oxide. Instead, a mat finish with a slight sheen will suffice, and will not interfere with perceiving the forms as a shiny surface sometimes does. Rationalization? Maybe! Kidding myself is a hobby. By the way, you should be able to see the three-part photo above at a larger size if you click on the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment