Sunday, January 3, 2010

oops!


Stone is an extremely unforgiving medium. I'm reminded of that when I pull a stunt like this. I was working on side "A" shown in the photo above and yeah, I got it nice and smooth. But in doing so, and focusing on only that side, I cut off what should have been a projection of form "B", based on its thickness (not visible in this photo). Once it's gone it's gone, so I was faced with two choices: 1. cut off more of form "B", shown at "C", so that the missing corner would fall inside of the form of which side "A" is a part, or 2. Glue a piece of scrap stone onto side A at just the right spot and carve it into the needed shape. Since option 2. would have compromised the integrity of the whole piece, the choice was easy - if unpleasant. It meant that in order to have a consistent width of form "B", I'd have to carve out a fairly small triangular area "D" - time consuming but certainly possible. As the photo shows, this is what I chose to do. So, outside of the piece actually breaking into pieces at some point, accidentally carving off something I'll need later is the greatest pitfall. Vigilance!

No comments:

Post a Comment