Monday, May 16, 2011

couldn't resist some detail . . .


I have to confess to being largely in the dark about the process of carving intuitively - that is, making it up on the fly. When I carve with a plan, I go all the way and have multiple sketches, printouts from 15-25 angles and follow them as closely as possible. When I use the intuitive method, I have no idea what the finished stone will look like when I start, and the activities of each day are similarly unknown ahead of time.
So, I don't know how the sort of detailing evident in today's work comes about - whether I truly do make it up as I go along, see a theme developing and enhance it or have some overall idea somewhere in my subconscious that manifests itself as I work. However it happens, it is a delight to work this way and I'm pretty sure the works that result are better than the preconceived pieces. So, this upside down stair-steppy thing that happened today may become a theme of the piece as I continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment