Sunday, May 15, 2011

New stone . . .


Well, I see it's been nearly two months since my last post - no way to run a blog! Apologies are in order, but I've been busy learning new software for a related project and have not been in the studio(s) till about a week and a half ago. The weather has changed for the better so I decided to put the metal mountain project on hold and get myself outside. Above is a sequence of photos of the first six days of work on my last piece of alabaster - I'm planning a trip to the quarry soon to get more.
This is a fairly small piece - I'd guess it to be about 40 lbs. I was planning to do at least one rectangular or square piercing through the main body of the piece, but a serious impurity about 1/2cm. in diameter made the small piercing at the top necessary, uncomfortably close to some edges, but it worked out okay. Please note also that the beautiful veining in this piece of Italian alabaster is largely invisible until the dust is washed off, as shown in photos 5 and 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment