Friday, July 30, 2010

Another 2 hours today


I'm still proceeding in an intuitive way on this piece - without any kind of plan - but in looking at the photos, I can see that there are too many competing forms. Something's going to have to go. I'll probably continue with it in the current way for another day or so until all the forms are fully realized and then decide how to slim it down and make the balance a bit less static. This block was, until about 9 years ago, part of Bateman school building here in Galesburg. When the school was torn down, I harvested several pieces of limestone, not knowing what to expect. It has turned out to be a really nice stone to carve and I picked this piece out to serve as a demo stone for our open studios event over the weekend. In the photo on the right, the original quarryman's marks are still visible. I assume these were meant for proper placement at the construction site. The school was built around 1900.

No comments:

Post a Comment