Sunday, July 25, 2010

What? Another new piece?


Yesterday, Lori and I had an open studio event, and around 35 people arrived over a 5 hour period to tour our respective studios. It was tiring but fun and inspiring as well, and in the course of the afternoon I was able to demo my old way of carving stone as well as the new, power-assisted method. Before the event, I moved my current piece to the indoor studio and used my crane to place a different piece of limestone on the carving bench. Today, I thought I'd just use my grinder to cut off enough stone to make it possible for me to lift it off the bench to get it out of the way. As I began to cut off pieces of stone I started to get interested in the emerging forms (I actually half expected this to happen), and after 2-1/2 hours of work with the grinder and pneumatic hammer I arrived at the stage you see above. I'm anxious to get back to it tomorrow because in this piece I have realized a goal that I have set recently: to blend my former intuitive way of working with the speed allowed by the power tools. Today's effort felt a lot like "sketching" in stone!

No comments:

Post a Comment