Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Intermediate stages


In the last two days of work, actually amounting to only 2-1/2hrs. of carving time, I've taken the piece into the middle phase. That is, all the major forms are now visible and I'll spend my time refining them and resolving plane and vertex issues. The photos also show a new refinement to the stoneworks: a port through the wall big enough for air and electrical lines that allows me to close the back door and keep the dust out of the garage. Well, most of it . . .

The fan is new too - a 24", three-speed pedestal fan for only $97.00! It allows me to work outside for extended periods of time (the stoneworks is on the south side of the property) at temperatures that would otherwise limit my working time to about 10 minutes per hour. With the fan on low, I hardly notice the heat. It helps, of course, that carving stone is rather absorbing.

1 comment:

  1. How about carving underwater. That would be totally cool with the carver totaly cool. You carve with pneumatics so there is no threat of electrocution. Cool?

    ReplyDelete