Sunday, October 4, 2009

Finally, a start


After a frustrating three consecutive days of rain to start October, today was sunny and warm. The photo shows the progress made today with two angle grinders, one with a 7" diamond wheel and the other with a 4-1/2" diamond cup wheel. This is my first serious foray into the territory of power tools, and I have to say that, despite the prodigious quantity of dust, I'm very happy with the amount of stone I was able to remove from the marble block in about 2-1/2 hours. The cup wheel in particular kicks up a veritable storm of dust and small chips, and I was surprised by a ghostly visage in the mirror when I finally came inside. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow in hopes of getting the stone under 100 lbs. this month. This stone is likely to end up as the second in a series of "Falling Rock" pieces.

1 comment: